Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer Workout Blues

The days are getting longer, the weather is getting warmer and with time at the pool looming body image issues have crept in. So here are some things that I’ve done to try to combat these negative thoughts and enjoy the summer.

First off I’ve really concentrated on trying to get back in the groove of working out again. I’m definitely someone that yoyos with my activity level. I either love working out or absolutely dread it. The past few weeks however, I tried to think about what motivates me when I do love it. I found that I am most motivated by the high I get from working out and seeing results.

Like most women seeing results can take some time and be really frustrating. I’ve read several reports that believe that it take at least 4 weeks for the average woman to start shedding pounds. Some reports even state it take 6 to 8 weeks before you can see results. Remembering the article helped a bit to prep me mentally, but it doesn't really help day to day in my frustrations to get back into my skinny jeans. So with the little tidbit in the back of my mind I've decided to do some other things to help me get my work out high instead of concentrating on results.

To combat this I’ve changed a few things up in my routine. First I’ve changed up my gym routine. Instead of doing very difficult stuff (say running for me) I’ve mixed in the things I enjoy (like lifting weights). I’ve also included more group fitness and classes I normally haven’t taken. It really helps to have someone yelling out orders and have other people experience my pain.

I've also started to look for things to do outdoors. Although the weather is getting a bit sweltering in the day I look to do things early morning, evening, or take advantage of our high country. In the evenings I take my pups on walks or try to get in a run when the sun is about to set. I've also tried getting up early to do a jog. The getting up early for the job has been a bit tough since I absolutely hate running. Being in colorado we have been blessed with numerous trails and activities you can do in the mountains which certainly beats the sweaty gym.

I've also tried to change my perspective on my definition of results. Instead of looking at my body or the scale for results, I've thought about more rewarding and healthy ways to define the word. Instead now I try to make my goals as 1 more minute on the treadmill or 1 more day at the gym than the last. I've tried to center what I think of results to my improvement in my workout and less on the superficial. It's a challenge but let's talk in a month and see if this new outlook helps any!

No comments:

Post a Comment