Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A New View

There are some things that I love to wake up to in the morning, bright sunny rooms, birds chirping sweetly, the smell of fresh brewed coffee, but some things I could do without and waking up on the wrong side of the bed is one of them. When that happens I feel that it’s just an omen for what’s to come and boy was I right. My day was filled with rude people, deadlines, and a negative air in the workplace. Trying to look at things on the bright side and to change things around before I strangled someone I found some things to lighten my mood and ultimately I tried something I had been uncomfortable with before and really enjoyed it.

Being from a social family that valued good food and good company I have always loved eating with people. I have found that eating and drinking in groups is very therapeutic for me and I have always relied on that to make me feel better or more connected to people. Actually it has come to the point that I only eat out with some one or I feel bare and naked. Even when I eat alone I tend to eat less and the meal is somewhat unfulfilling. I have always somewhat envied people that were able to eat alone out and seem to really enjoy it.

With my brain frazzled, my blood boiling and a lack of company I decided to head out to lunch solo. I thought it’s a beautiful day outside and knew that being out of the cold concrete walls of our building would really give my spirits a big lift. Now I remind you I have rarely if ever gone out in public alone to eat. Maybe it is part of my insecurities of being judged who knows, but I was determined. Along the way to the restaurant I was making excuses, there’s too much to do, where should I go, taking a long lunch will only mean I’ll have to stay later, meaning a longer work day, but I reminded myself that I needed to do this. Me time is important and overcoming this was important.

I finally pulled up to the restaurant, knowing full well that I had picked a place that was sure to be pretty quiet during the lunch hour, and wasn’t surprised to see only one other couple getting ready to go. As I was seated I cozied myself in the inner most seat and began surveying the menu. Lunch specials for $5?! Unbelievable! I order and sat looking around. Being discomforted by my own thoughts I pulled out my Iphone and began reading the news and anything else to make me seem busy. When my food finally arrived I made a conscious effort to put down my phone and enjoy each bite I took.

I began to realize that I was actually enjoying all the flavors in my entrée. Instead of having to concentrate on conversation while maneuvering food into my moving mouth I could actually taste my food. I could really savor all the ingredients that made my food delicious. I could also hear myself think. I let my mind wander and before I realized it a lot of my negative feelings had washed away.

As I paid my bill and thanked the very kind waiter I began to realize that although I was still not the most comfortable the experience was one to grow from and it was more beneficial than I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment